If you are buying a new home or would want to enhance your home’s protection against flooding, a sump pump installation is a great idea. Sump pumps are usually installed in the lowest level of a home or in a pit (sump) in a basement or other underground space. It is exactly what its name implies; a sump pump is used to “pump” water out of your house to keep your home dry. It directs the excess water to a nearby storm drain making it a perfect weapon against flooding.
Sump Pump installation
Did you know that there is a high percentage of homeowners dealing with moisture problems in their basement? With higher moisture and humidity levels comes the risk of molds and mildew growth. Installing a sump pump is the best way to ensure your home is protected. Sump pump installation is quite necessary for homes, especially those living in areas with frequent flooding or regularly dealing with heavy rains. A sump pump can offer several benefits including:
- Prevents flooding from rainwater
- Keeps your basement humidity at a lower level
- Decrease the risk of molds and mildew growth
- Prevent floodwater from staying in your basement area
- Protects against sewage backups
- It provides good indoor air quality
- Reduce the risk of electrical damage and potential fire hazards
- Decrease the chance of insect infestation that are attracted to stagnant water
The cost of sump pump installation
Installing a sump pump can be beneficial for your home, but how much will it cost? Most homeowners are concerned with the cost of it. What if it’s not worth it? The cost of fixing the effects of water damage is more expensive than installing a sump pump. A sump pump installation is a one-time cost that proves to be worthy as it prevents costly repairs in the future. The cost of sump pump installation can be affected by certain factors including:
- Type of sump pump. The cost of a sump pump installation will depend on the type of sump pump you are going to choose – submersible or pedestal. The submersible is more expensive but is extremely powerful and should be your first choice if your area is constantly dealing with lots of rainfall.
- Your location. The price for sump pump installation can vary from one place to another. Some plumbers can charge up to $1500 for installation in Milwaukee. Some may charge $800 in Chicago. Remember to ask for multiple quotes to get the best deal for your sump pump installation.
- The sump pump size. The more water you need to deal with, the more horsepower is necessary. Larger sump pumps produce more horsepower, making them a good choice for areas that deal with heavy rain and floods. The bigger the sump pumps, the more expensive they will be.
Sump pumps are an excellent tool for your home and knowing how much it will cost you will give you the confidence that it is something worth investing in.